Thursday, May 21, 2009

One big umbrella

Normally my blogging is dedicated to my boys...but at our family reunion last week my cousin snapped this picture because it was funny--however, I think it's really symbolic. Below you'll see my little brother, who actually isn't that little anymore. He's home from his first year of college and awaiting a mission call any week now. Behind him is my dad. On this particular day, it had been quite rainy, so there were many umbrellas around--Thomas thought it would be funny to use Kalen's little miniature umbrella since he stands at 6'9" tall. And it was funny, then dad covered him with my mom's gigantic umbrella (no normal sized umbrella's in my family, no).

Anyways, that's when I thought about this:

Isn't it funny that when we are little we think we know it all, we think we can fend for ourselves, and we think we can do just fine without any help from mom or dad. As we grow older, we become more independent, and I'm not sure when it happens, but there comes a time when we know we can do it ourself. Depending on the person, maybe it's when they move out, go away to college, get married, begin a career, or whatever...but how often do we stop to realize how much of an impact our parents still have on us--how we're not really ever alone--how dad is always there "holding the umbrella over us", just in case ours doesn't work.

I know this is just all a bunch of mumbo-jumbo coming out, but basically, I wanted to write to say that I am so grateful to know my dad's always watching out for me (and my family). He was when I was little, he was when I was a teen-ager, and he still is--he's got that umbrella, that I may not notice because it's not physically touching me at all, but he's got it right over my little family, just in case we need some help--so that if I dare put mine down, he'll still be there. How often do we realize how much our parents love us? I know sometimes I take it for granted...and I have an amazing father--one who is each of his children's best friend. --How did he do that? I don't even know...but I want to be my little boys' best friend as they grow. I do know he was always there to listen, to give advice, to give discipline when needed, and to be an example of charity for anyone less fortunate. My siblings and I all recognize and agree on that.

I know you read this on occasion dad, so I just wanted to say thanks, for having your gigantic umbrella, right from the start.

Isn't it funny how a simple picture can strike up so many thoughts and feelings?
And, here's a picture of my dad's family taken at the Reunion (none of us were super duper groomed for pictures--we were camping in the middle of woods).

Left to right: Brandon and Ashley (my sister and her new husband), 19 yr old Brother Thomas, Mom, 18 yr old brother Chris (in an awfully filthy shirt), Dad, and then us: Kalen-Me-Trace (top to bottom), Brady, and Brian.

3 comments:

Megan said...

How very thought provoking. And sweet. and cute. I love the photo, it is funny and I can devfinitely see how you were able to head off on that through process. :)I wonder though if its more of not necessarily having that umbrella over us in case ours doesn't work, but having it on hand in any time of need, just waiting for us to be in need of it.

Anna White said...

Hello, THREE kids?! Amber, where have you been all my life!!! I am so glad you posted on my site. Your boys are super cute. We are expecting boy #2 in a few months. I guess boys are the cool thing these days. ha ha! I am going to put a little link in my comment here for this contest, because I get a lot of extra points for every blog comment I make...but I am going to add your blog to the ones I read! yay!!

The EZ desk Giveaway

Destiny said...

That was so sweet Amber! And it is very true- and Heavenly Father has an even BIGGER umbrella over all of us! You are so cute! I love reading your blogs!